Monday, February 23, 2009

2009 Academy Awards: Best Dressed

Below are some images of actresses who I thought looked great last night. The theme of the night seemed to be nude and pale tones (Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood), statement jewelry (Taraji Henson, Amy Adams), and belted waists (SJP and Miley Cyrus). Although I wish there were brighter colors on the red carpet, I was happy with the variance in evening dresses. From pretty in pink to avant garde drama, the actresses did quite well in the styling department!


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
Taraji P. Henson knows how to do it right! The Best-Supporting actress nominee looked stunning in this cream-colored Roberto Cavalli dress, her Fred Leighton necklace, and her red clutch. Her bob is really youthful and worked with the entire outfit. She was one of my favorites the entire night!

[Image Source: Fabsugar]
So here is Sarah Jessica Parker in a "barely mint" Christian Dior haute couture gown. I loved this dress and how she accessorized it with a belt. The bodice was very ornate and I loved the princess-like voluminous bottom. However, the bust killed me; it looked like she was going to pop out of it any moment, and I wish it fit her better. I couldn't stop staring at her cleavage (not in a good way), but the dress itself was very beautiful. I wish Miley Cyrus took this approach, instead of her all sparkly gown (see post below).


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
When Reese Witherspoon came out on stage to present an award, I literally gasped. I am used to seeing Reese in elegant gowns, but I found this Rodarte gown to be very different from what she's used to wearing--rather avant garde. I'm really glad she took a risk..and I think it really worked for her. The color, the bodice, the straps on the dress (everything!) was beautiful and dramatic and I couldn't get enough of it!


[Image Source: Fabugar]
Penelope Cruz looked like (and was!) an Academy Award winning actress last night. This 60-year old vintage cream-colored Balmain gown was stunning and made a statement. The lace, chiffon and ruching bottom was incredible and Penelope Cruz owned the look without making it look like a wedding dress. She is definitely one of my picks for top 3 best dressed!


[Image Source: Fabugar]
Natalie Portman was one of the few that showed bright color on the red carpet. I loved that she chose this pink Rodarte grecian-inspired gown. The fit was perfect and the ruched bodice was subtle, but definitely made a statement.


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
Meryl Streep knows how to dress to her age and body type (Whoopi should take some notes!). She looks simply fabulous in Alberta Ferretti. I loved the neckline and how she showed some skin, but it wasn't too much.


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
Marisa Tomei knocked it out of the park with this Versace gown. The train and the pleating all throughout the dress was amazing. She made the right choice with keeping her hair and jewelry simple because the dress was a statement enough!


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
Although I wish Oscar winner Kate Winslet chose a more dramatic gown for the Oscars (think Penelope Cruz), I was really happy with her Yves Saint Laurent two toned "gun-metal gray" and black dress. It was dramatic in its own right. I loved the one shoulder strap and the different textures of the dress, especially the black embroidered tulle. Her hair was very "old Hollywood" glamour and it worked with the entire outfit.


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
I didn't like Evan Rachel Wood's makeup or hair. It was vintage Hollywood glam, but I didn't think it was very age appropriate. Her neutral Elie Saab gown is pretty simple, but the bodice is so intricate that it creates an understated elegance.


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
Some people (including my mother) didn't like this dress, but I beg to differ. Slumdog's Millionaire's Freida Pinto looked radiant in this blue John Galliano gown. The neckline is unique, with the one strap over the shoulder and the one shoulder lace sleeve. I especially liked that it had a Bollywood feel and reflected her culture.


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
Upon first seeing Anne Hathaway's Armani Prive gown, I sighed because it looked so boring and plain. However, I quickly changed my mind when I took a closer look. I really liked the scaly pailettes on the bottom of her dress and exquisite beading. Lovely!


[Image Source: Fabsugar]
I've read some things about Amy Adams's red Carolina Herrera dress, and I was quite surprised about how some people didn't like it. Was it because it was red? I don't see a problem with wearing red on the red carpet. The bodice had beautiful black piping detailing and her multi-colored Fred Leighton bib necklace was a showstopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your lovely comments!

xoxo,
Victoria

Related Posts with Thumbnails